By Bryan Morse
Natural Swimming Pools (NSP’s) or Swim Ponds have become a phenomenon across much of Western Europe. Dozens of companies are actively promoting this hybrid form of a swimming pool and public enthusiasm for NSP’s is increasing every year.
In Europe, this technology has been proven and is in wide use. In Germany and Austria there are many public NSP’s that service in excess of 4000 visitors a day. German Water Purity Standards are extremely strict, these pools have been regularly tested over years of use and found to be completely safe.
The purpose of this blog is to introduce, educate and inform you about ‘Natural Swimming Pools’ or ‘Swim Ponds’. We have included useful articles, diagrams and links to sites around the world dedicated to the development and implementation of this technology.
Expanding Horizons is the only companies in California actively promoting this alternative to a chlorinated swimming pool.
Here is a link to some Samples of Natural Swimming Pools
BOOKS THAT MAY BE OF INTEREST.
- “Natural Swimming Pools, Inspiration for Harmony with Nature ” by Michael Littlewood; a Schiffer Design Book. This is an extremely informative book about all aspects of Natural Swimming Pools from design to water chemistry to construction specifications and much, much more. Available everywhere or go to Amazon.com
- “Natural Swimming Pools, a Guide for Building ” by Michael Littlewood; an Agrimedia Book available from Amazon.com This book is for the do-it-yourself builder. it has everything that you need to know about building a Natural Swimming Pool
Below are a few links to some interesting and helpful information about water chemistry and the history of Natural Swimming pools.
Included are two articles about Michael Littlewood an Environmental Landscape Architect who resides in England. Michael has been very instrumental in disseminating information on NSP’s, he spearheaded the introduction of NSP’s in England and the United States and has recently published a very informative book on the subject.
- New York Times article about Natural Swimming Pools. April 5, 2007
- Natural Swimming Pools is an article that covers the history of their origin, construction and water quality.
- Pristine Swimming appeared in Landscape architect magazine’s March 2003 and is about Michael and his quest.
- Finding Balance (balancing your water chemistry) in a Pond, but mostly the same rules apply for a Natural Swimming Pool.
- German Water Purity Standards :1975